The roof over your head is arguably the most essential aspect of any home. It protects you, your valuables, and your investments from water and other types of damage that can create long-term issues.
It’s an investment that not only matters—it also lasts. Most residential roofs with asphalt shingles last 20 to 25 years. Other than counting back the years since installation, when should you consider roof replacement services with a reputable roof contractor?
Signs You Need Roof Replacement Services
Even if you’re within the lifespan of your shingles, watch for these 3 tell-tale signs that you may need to call contractors for roofing:
- Head to the Attic: Before you explore roof replacement services, start in the attic. If you see light through the top of the house or any stains, you may have a leak.
- Look at the Seams: Be sure to also examine the flashing around any vents, skylights or seams. Cracks or breaks in the seams could also lead to a roof leak.
- Watch for Sagging: Be on the lookout for sagging from moisture, rot or other factors. This automatically means you need full roof replacement services.
When to Repair vs. Replace
A trusted contractor for roofing will help you understand when it’s safe to get by with a repair versus a full replacement. If your roof was properly installed less than two decades ago, a roof repair specialist may be able to fix smaller issues or you may be able to tackle it yourself.
- Missing Shingles: Torn, damaged, or missing shingles can be easily removed and replaced, assuming you have spare shingles for this small patch job.
- Loose Shingles: Your shingles should lie flat against the roof. Be sure to call a roof repair specialist and hold off on a full replacement if he or she can fix the buckling or other damage.
- Algae Growth: Trapped moisture can lead to moss, mold and fungi, which can ruin a roof and impact your family’s health. Use a stiff brush to remove growth in shaded roof corners. If there’s an underlying problem, consider roof replacement services.
- Know Your Shingles: Understanding your roofing material will help you decide if you need a roof contractor or roof repair specialist. It’s usually a better investment to repair costlier slate and tile shingles. Wood roofs may be a better candidate for full replacement with a different material.
Whether you decide on roof replacement services or roof repair, don’t put off this important work. Contact a contractor for roofing before a failed roof leads to water inside your home. Water damage can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $8,000 depending on the scope of the damage.
Once you start seeing signs of wear, contact Weathersafe Restorations, Inc. They offer free online estimates and can thoroughly inspect the integrity of your residential roofing system to help you make the right decision for your home.